Monday, January 23, 2012

Getting Sleepy With Dr Oz

In my practice in Oakland, it seemed as though none of my patients was sleeping enough. Most were getting under six hours a night, many as few as four. I would often joke that I could base my practice entirely around two things - explaining to people what the labs their other doctors have ordered actually mean, and helping people to get some sleep.

Here in Washington DC, where I shadow a cardiologist, we discuss sleep apnea with nearly everyone, as it's rampant in cardiac patients, where it contributes to high blood pressure, obesity, and other chronic problems.

Most of what I would tell my patients involved eating dinner earlier in the evening, turning the computer/TV off at least 45 minutes before bed, keeping the bedroom clear of distractions, and other 'sleep hygiene' practices. This week, Dr Oz, that naturopathic doctor in a medical doctor's clothing, has written an article outlining recommendations for getting better sleep. It's comprehensive, clear, and I daresay I couldn't have done a better job myself. If you're having trouble getting enough sleep, or if anyone you know is, I highly recommend this article. Read on, dear readers, and sleep peacefully.